Tuesday, August 26, 2014

What it means to play soccer as a woman in Argentina... Straight from the horse's mouth

Well, after a year and a half (a little more if we’re going to get all legalistic about it) of talking so much about myself, about my life, about my knee, about my rehab, about my musings and meditations, I’m tired of hearing about me, and I imagine you are thinking the same thing. So, today I’m blogging a little differently, I’m going to let some other voices speak, let them tell about what they see and what they live. If you’ve read past posts of mine, you most likely already know what I opine in regards to women’s soccer in Argentina, if not, I’ll provide a quick recap of my thoughts and observations.

Women’s soccer is a sport which is surprisingly underappreciated in a country where the men who play professionally receive so much recognition through wealth and fame. As children, in physical education classes, in recess, and even in their own backyards, the boys are always given a soccer ball and the girls... a doll. A girl who plays soccer is a rarity, an odd specimen among Argentine women. Often, when people find out you, as a “nice young lady,” play soccer, they are left momentarily speechless and stare at you with a look of surprise and astonishment, which takes a little while to fade.

 “But it’s such a violent sport!” they protest.

 “Aren’t you too feminine to be a soccer player?” they ask.

“I would never allow my daughter to play soccer. No, she’ll play a much more elegant and less manly sport, like field hockey,” they declare, as though you had asked for their opinion and as though field hockey were somehow non-violent when essentially it’s soccer played with wooden sticks and a solid plastic ball more than capable of breaking noses, to which my cousin can testify as a former victim of a field hockey ball.

During my short playing stint in Argentina, I’ve been able to observe how women’s soccer is a true counterculture. Despite cultural and social norms, players continue to fight against the current, not necessarily in search of recognition and acceptance but instead they fight for their own space where they can enjoy the sport they love and where more and more girls will also have the opportunity to participate in such an important aspect of Argentine culture.

photo courtesy of Guillermo Larroquete

A few days ago, it occurred to me that maybe I don’t know everything it means to be a woman playing soccer in Argentina (I know, crazy right? But even so, it did cross my mind...), and I began to ask myself... How can I better understand women’s soccer in Argentina and how can I transmit a clear and accurate representation of something which in many other countries just isn’t seen? That’s when I got the idea to consult the experts, the players themselves. Luckily, it wasn’t too hard to find my little guinea pigs, my (lovely) teammates at Club Atlético River Plate.

So, I asked them, “What does it mean to play soccer as a woman in Argentina?” I admit that my question was deceptively simple. Despite being composed of so few words, the answer required deeper reflection and consideration due to the ambiguity and open nature of the question, which left lots of room for interpretation. I like to think the underlying complexity of the question was what made some of my teammates take longer to respond, but I have a creeping suspicion that they were probably doing their best to ignore my inquiry as I have quite the reputation as the annoying girl who asks existential questions when all anyone really wants to talk about is what they ate for lunch.

photo courtesy of Guillermo Larroquete
Anyways, while I sit here sipping mate (see prior posts for an explanation of this highly-caffeinated traditional drink) trying to bring a piece of Argentina to Yanquilandia, the USA for those unaccustomed to the cultured Argentine vernacular,  I’ll share with you my translation of the varied responses, some longer than others but all incisive and perceptive, of my wise fellow “millonarias.” (Millonarios is the term used when referring to players or fans of River Plate due to the clubs original association with the Bourgeoisie of Buenos Aires. The nickname stuck throughout the years, however, despite its vast popularization and recent financial crises.)

Luana Muñoz (defender): Being a women’s soccer player in Argentina means giving a lot of effort, loving what we do, the word sacrifice stands out above everything else. Complete sacrifice, nobody gives you anything, on the contrary. Most of the time it’s fighting against the current, knowing that most likely nobody is going to recognize anything you do, but it doesn’t matter; pure perseverance, that’s what it’s about. Despite all the beatings (excessively) we face along the road, nobody nor nothing stops us, that’s the way it is here. We know we can grow, it’s purely and completely on us to do it, change starts from within.

Micaela Sandoval (forward): Playing women’s soccer in Argentina teaches you to fight for your dream, to overcome obstacles, and never to put your head down. I, as a women’s soccer player, have complete confidence that one day we will receive what we deserve. In women’s soccer, one can see the true love of the game, the passion for the ball, the exertion of pure heart, and the sacrifice down to the last breath. Honestly, I feel proud to play soccer and even more so to play in my country, Argentina.

Ludmila Manicler (forward): Love of the art. Sacrifice and, for many, leaving a ton of things behind. And even though it’s amateur, we play it like professionals.

Ayelen Lagos (forward): Love, sacrifice, happiness, and responsibility... giving everything for soccer and to be professionals, not for the money but to be faithful to this love.

Carolina Morcillo (defender): Women’s soccer in Argentina is breaking “assumptions that women can’t do things.” It’s sacrifice and passion.

Florencia Ferrero (forward): Playing soccer in Argentina is all sacrifice, it’s setting a ton of things aside. It’s giving so many other things away just because we love what we do. For us, it’s simply a passion. We don’t do it for money or for any other economic motive. We love what we do.

Mariana Larroquette (forward/midfielder): Sacrifice, the thrill of trying to achieve objectives in the few years we have to play since we aren’t professionals.

Florencia Salazar (defender): Well, for me, playing soccer in Argentina is beautiful and even more so at the club where I am, but it comes with its difficulties! Even though here they don’t see it like they do in other countries, one can tell that it’s growing! And that is thanks to the sacrifice and effort of the players and the coaching staff because they take it seriously! And they leave behind many things to be able to train and grow! I believe the true soccer can be seen in women, where there are no business interests! There is no money to get in the way because the women play with heart, leaving everything on the field, defending the club’s crest, and enjoying it, which is the best part!

Mercedes Pereyra (midfielder): And for me, I don’t know what it means, if I do it it’s because I love soccer and because I know I make my parents proud.

Karen Spiazzi (defender/midfielder): Women’s soccer in Argentina is completely amateur, which the girls do for the love of the game, dedicating their time, leaving many things behind, even leaving their families in many cases because they travel from the interior of the country to the capital to achieve their dream. It’s a big sacrifice, but it fills your soul.

Vicky Pinat (midfielder): For me, it’s playing for the love of art, it’s a passion in every way because it is played without receiving anything in return other than satisfaction and enjoyment; it’s really about what it’s worth to play the game, not for money but for what it makes you feel. It’s playing with heart.

Anonymous: Soccer is the reason why I sacrifice daily to improve as a player and as a person even though we have to leave many things behind despite it being an amateur sport.

Carla Brown (the best position combination... goalkeeper/forward): Sacrifice, passion, and exertion.


Eliana Figueroa (defender/midfielder): Being a women’s soccer player is part of a passion and at the same time a beautiful game I love to play with a team, where one participates in great experiences. One learns to wait, to overcome oneself, to be consistent, to persevere, to have good habits among other good things. Women’s soccer in Argentina is about personal sacrifice and the resulting benefits, which sometimes come in the form of a great game or the opportunity to play at another club, but always knowing that it’s from the heart, that we can’t live off of it but even so, day by day we go to sleep and wake up thinking about soccer. We enjoy it a lot, that’s what it’s all about.

photo courtesy of Guillermo Larroquete

No comments:

Post a Comment